Language Requirements

Beginn des Seitenbereichs: Inhalt:

Please note: Only Graz and Trento can be chosen as entrance universities!

Courses of the international joint master's programme are taught in the following languages (depending on the chosen entrance and mobility university):

English, Italian, German, Croatian and Czech!

All examinations can be done in English even if the course language is another one depending on the professor’s prior consent. Because large parts of the programme are conducted in English, you are required to present proof of your proficiency in English at the time of application.

You must therefore demonstrate a high level of competence in English by producing evidence in a form of a language certificate in English at an advanced level from an authorized body. English-native-speaking applicants and those who successfully completed a bachelor programme completely taught in English do not have to take this test.

Depending on which entrance university you wish to choose, you will have to take additional language requirements into consideration!

University of Graz

German proficiency:
When choosing Graz as your entrance university you need also to provide proof of German proficiency on the level C1.
German language knowledge on level C1 (according to CEFR) can be provided by:

  1. an Austrian secondary school leaving certificate (Matura) or
  2. an equal seconday school leaving certificate from abroad with German as language of instruction on Matura Level (Austrian or German school abroad) or
  3. an abroad completed study programme completely taught in German or
  4. Ergänzungsprüfung Deutsch (EPD) at Vorstudienlehrgang der Grazer Universitäten und Hochschulen (prerequisite for participating in the EPD is an admission at the University) or at another Austrian Vorstudienlehrgang or
  5. ÖSD C1 (Österreichisches Sprachdiplom Deutsch) or
  6. Goethe-Zertifikat C1 or
  7. DSH2 (Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang) or
  8. DSD2 (Deutsches Sprachdiplom der Kultusministerkonferenz)

The certificates 5. - 8. must not be older than 2 years at the time of the application.

English proficiency:

  1. TOEFL iBT (score of at least 95) or
  2. IELTS (score of at least 7) or
  3. Cambridge Proficiency English CPE or
  4. Cambridge Advanced English CAE (score of at least 180/Grade C or better) or
  5. Secondary school leaving certificate from abroad with English as language of instruction on Matura Level or
  6. a completed study programme exclusively taught in English

The certificates/diplomas 1. - 4. must not be older than 2 years by the time of the application.

University of Trento

Italian proficiency:
Students applying for the University of Trento as their entrance university need Italian language skills that allow them to follow the courses that are taught in Italian. A certificate is not required in this case.

English proficiency:
For the admission to the SSR Master's Degree a good knowledge of the English language, i.e. at least a B1 level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, has to be attested with an international certification from among the following:

  1. IELTS: 4.5 (with no band less than 4.0) gained not before 2 years
  2. TOEFL iBT (or computer-based tests or equivalent): minimum score of 11 (no skill lower than 11) gained not before 2 years
  3. another certification recognized at European level gained not before 5 years
  4. candidates who obtained their degree (bachelor or master) from a university where tuition is entirely in English in an EU country or in Australia, Canada, Japan, Norway, New Zealand, Russia, the USA, South Africa or Switzerland, are not required to submit an English Language certificate.

In case of missing English certificate, as above indicated, the Admission Committee may interview the candidate or evaluate further uploaded documents.
During the course, students are requested to reach a B2 level.

Ende dieses Seitenbereichs.
Zur Übersicht der Seitenbereiche.