Beginn des Seitenbereichs: Unternavigation:

Ende dieses Seitenbereichs.
Zur Übersicht der Seitenbereiche.

Beginn des Seitenbereichs: Zusatzinformationen:


Ende dieses Seitenbereichs.
Zur Übersicht der Seitenbereiche.


Beginn des Seitenbereichs: Inhalt:


Q: What is the duration of the joint master's programme?
A: The duration is normally four semesters including the obligatory semester abroad, the master's thesis and all examinations.

Q: What is the workload per semester?
A: The average workload per semester is defined as 30 ECTS credits. At the City College of New York the average workload per semester is defined as 9 American credits.

Q: What is the added value of a Joint Programme?
A: After successful completion of the full programme students will receive either a local diploma or a double degree certificate according to the regulations in Annex II of the cooperation agreement depending on the student’s study path, and will also receive a diploma Supplement.

Q: Are there any regulations per number of eligible students?
A: Yes, each of the partner universities admits a maximum of 10 students per year.

Q: Can I start the course only in the winter/fall semester?
A: The programme generally starts in the winter/fall semester. For exceptions, please consult the academic coordinator at your entrance university.

Q: In which language do I have to write my Master's thesis?
A: The master's thesis has to be written in English.

Q: What are the prerequisites to apply for the programme?
A: Admission to this Master's Programme is granted to persons who have completed at least the equivalent of a Bachelor's or Diploma degree in English and/or American Studies (180 ECTS). Applicants with degrees in other fields may be considered if their academic background is deemed appropriate by both the Joint Degree Programme and the specific institution to which they are applying for admission as their home university.

Tuition Fees

Q: Do you charge tuition fees? If yes, how much?
A: Please consult the websites of the entrance university to which you intend to apply for.

Q: Do I have to pay an extra amount (tuition) for the mobility semester?
A: No. You only have to pay the regular tuition at your entrance university.


Q: When will the online application open?
A: The call usually opens in January/beginning of February.

Q: When is the deadline for applications?
A: The online application closes every year around mid April.

Q: In which language do I have to hand in the required documents for my application?
A: All documents for the application procedure must be submitted in English.

Q: Can I hand in some of the documents which are required for the application later?
A: All documents have to be submitted on time. The exception is the undergraduate diploma. Students who do not have their language certificate at time of application should at least submit proof of registration for the language test.

Q: I do not have my diploma yet. Can I still apply?
A: You can apply for the programme. However, you should state in your application when you expect to get your degree. If you are selected by the committee, you need to have finished your degree by the time you register at your entrance university for the Joint Master.

Q: I hold a Bachelor's Degree in European History. Can I still apply for the programme?
A: In general, graduates from different fields of study can be admitted if the completed programme is judged to be equivalent by the selection committee.

Q: I am already enrolled in a Master Programme at one of the participating universities. Can I apply?
A: Yes. But you should contact the corresponding academic coordinator.

Q: Do I have to have my university diploma (Bachelor's degree) and my transcript of records translated by a certified translator?
A: Translations do not have to be done by a certified translator for your online application. However, it might be necessary to provide certified translations for admission to your entrance university (please check the respective rules and regulations).

Q: Do you need the signature of a native speaker (one of the lecturers) to ascertain the correctness of a translation?
A: No.

Q: I earned my bachelor's degree at one of the participating institutions. For the Joint Master's Programme I would nevertheless prefer another consortium member to be my entrance university. Is this possible?
A: Yes, it is.

Q: Is it ok if I send a transcript of my university records which is simply downloaded from the university's website?
A: Yes.

Q: Is it necessary to have language knowledge other than English?
A: It is not necessary to know other languages. Nevertheless we advise you to attend courses of the languages of the countries of the respective consortium members.

Q: Is international experience relevant for the selection of the applicants?
A: Programme-relevant experience will be given consideration during the selection process.

Q: Can I apply although I'm working full-time?
A: Yes, but please consider that the programme includes an obligatory semester abroad in the third semester.

Q: Is there a personal interview with the applicants?
A: No. The selection committee selects the students on the basis of the applications.

Q: When will the results of the selection meeting be announced?
A: About four weeks after the application deadline all applicants will be informed of the decision of the selection committee.

Mobility Semester

Q: I want to choose one of the consortium members as my entrance university, but spend the mobility semester at a university that is not a partner of the consortium. Can I still be awarded the Double Degree Certificate?
A: The Double Degree Certificate is only awarded if at least 30 ECTS credits for a mobility semester is spent at a partner university within the consortium. You are of course free to spend another mobility semester at a university outside the consortium.

Q: Is it possible to spend two semesters abroad?
A: Yes. In the course of the master's programme you can earn a maximum of 60 ECTS (2 semesters) credits in mobility.

Financial Support

Q: Do the universities offer any kind of financial support? Can I apply for a scholarship?
A: There is no financial support for the entire programme. However, universities may offer a number of different scholarships. Please contact the academic coordinator of your chosen entrance university for more information.

Q: Will I receive financial support for the mobility semester?
A: The mobility semester is largely organised through the Erasmus+ programme.

Professional Future

Q: What are the career’s prospects for a graduate of this master programme?
A: After graduation a variety of professional fields are open to you! You may pursue an academic career as you are fully qualified for a PhD programme. Professional fields in the public and private sector include: education, archive and library services, diplomatic service, publishing, cultural organisations, international co-operation, translating, mass communication, advertising, tourism and public relations, or language-oriented professions.

Ende dieses Seitenbereichs.
Zur Übersicht der Seitenbereiche.

Beginn des Seitenbereichs:


University of GrazOffice of International Relations

Ende dieses Seitenbereichs.
Zur Übersicht der Seitenbereiche.