Begin of page section: Contents:

In order to apply for the European Joint Master's Programme in English and American Studies, applicants have to fill in an online application.

Read the information about the programme carefully. In case of any questions, you are welcome to contact us at jointdegrees(at)


Previous studies

Admission to this Master's Programme is granted to persons holding an academic degree of at least 180 ECTS credits (bachelor’s degree or equivalent programme of at least 180 ECTS) in a field relevant to the Joint Master’s Programme in the Humanities including graduates of modern and classical languages.

Applicants with degrees in other languages and possess a degree in philology may be considered if their preparation is deemed appropriate by both the Joint Master's Programme and the specific institution to which they are applying for admission as their entrance university.


Because this is an English-taught programme, English language proficiency must be proven. This is possible in one of the following ways:

1) Native English speaker with a completed study fully taught in English.

Comment: it is not always easy to ascertain an applicant’s native speaker status. If you are unsure about your status, please contact the coordinator at your chosen entrance university for advice.

2) English certificate:

  • Cambridge CAE (Certificate of Advanced English) PASS
  • Michigan ECPE (Examination for the Certificate of Proficiency in English) PASS
  • Trinity ISE 3 (Integrated Skills in English) PASS
  • Pearson PTE Academic MINIMUM SCORE 76

Comment: Applicants must either include an approved language certificate with their application or indicate the date on which they will take a language test. No other certificates will be accepted, nor will testimonials from teaching staff from your undergraduate university.

The certificate must not be older than 2 years.


Required documents

Collect all the documents and upload them to the application platform as PDFs. Please note that all documents have to be either in English or accompanied by a certified English translation subject to verification.

  • CV
  • Copy of passport or identity card (the latter only for EU citizens)
  • Diploma certificate/Bachelor certificate
  • Language certificate
  • 2 academic letters of recommendation
  • Transcript of records
  • Diploma supplement (if provided by the university)

End of this page section.
Go to overview of page sections.

Begin of page section:


University of GrazOffice of International Relations

End of this page section.
Go to overview of page sections.